Monday, April 11, 2016

Cosenza

Week 10


Hello y'all! Is it Monday again already?! This week flew by... The day's are sometimes long but they sure do go by fast. 

This week has been a whirlwind! It's been super good! Usually I keep a little list of things to share in my email... And this week's was pretty sad: 
-First Italian pizza
-"Have Courage and Be Kind"

Basta. That's it. Haha I promise we had a busy and eventful week!
So to tie this all together, I'll start by sharing a pre-mission story.
I was home for (a very short) six weeks between BYU and reporting to the MTC. Around my last week, we rented the new live version Cinderella movie for a couple days. I had never seen it before, but if you knew me when I was four, the same level of excitement that I would have had then was still there haha.... 
Let's just say I loved it and it was like all of my childhood daydreams in real life. And I might have watched it more than once in that week. 
Anyways....
There is a line in the movie that Cinderella's mom says to her.... "Have courage and be kind." 
I love that. So simple and so so good. 

This week I was reminded of this line when I was studying. I was reading a talk titled "The Virtue of Kindness" by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin. In it he says:

"Kindness is the essence of a celestial life. Kindness is how a Christlike person treats others. Kindness should permeate all of our words and actions at work, at school, at church, and especially in our homes.
Kindness is the essence of greatness and the fundamental characteristic of the noblest men and women I have known. Kindness is a passport that opens doors and fashions friends. It softens hearts and molds relationships that can last lifetimes."

1st Italian pizza excitement!
This is so true! This week we went to get me my first pizza here in Italy! A church member had recommended a place called "La Pizza Di Mimmo" and we went to try it out. We didn't have enough time to sit down and eat, so we went around to the back of the restaurant where you can order for take away. Turns out.... This is where Mimmo makes the pizza! And so after we ordered we got to stand there and watch him make it (so so so cool) and have a really good conversation with him. He told us about how they make the pizza... And we told him about our missionary purpose! He and the other workers there were all so friendly and kind, and we had a really good time talking with them and getting to know them. We tried to return the same kindness and politeness, and be the representatives of Christ that we have been called to be. After we left, both Sorella Pinnegar and I concluded that we needed to go back and talk to them more again sometime about our faith.... And to get more pizza. ;)

It's a silly little story, but it kind of set the tone for the rest of my week. There are so many ways that we can show kindness and love to everyone. Sometimes we have bad days, things don't go our way, or we just wake up on the wrong side of the bed haha. BUT I've learned more in the past four weeks than ever that smiles can go a long way and there are ALWAYS opportunities to be kind. 

I read a scripture this morning in the Book of Mormon, Jacob 2:19:
"And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good--to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted."

We are all faced with challenges every day. Not a single one of us is exempt! We're literally all in the same boat. How much greater of a place would the world be if we all treated each other with kindness and love?
1 John 4 says:
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

I know that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is the greatest act of love to have ever been completed. He loves us and wants us to reach our fullest potential and use this glorious gift he has given us. I also know that we are all children of a loving Heavenly Father. This knowledge brings me peace and comfort, and challenges me to be a little bit more kind and gentle to everyone I know. 

My challenge to myself with past week and probably every week for the rest of my mission (haha...) is the "have courage" part of that movie quote. I need to have the courage to open my mouth and tell everyone about that amazing message! 

And... My challenge to you this week is to find little extra ways to be kind to those around you. Lift up the heads that hang down, listen to someone who just needs a listening ear, or remind yourself to be patient with those around you (and yourself!). I have a long ways to go, but I know when I do my best to "love one another"... blessings come.

So "have courage and be kind".  :) 

Love you all,
Sorella Carver

Sondaggio night!  Question for the masses..."If Moses was on the earth today, would you be interested in what he had to say?"

After pranzo with Sorelle Spadafora, Spizzirri, Valencia, Pinnegar, and Muce

No comments:

Post a Comment