Monday, May 29, 2017

Cagliari

Week 68

Hello, Folks!

Well, it's been a crazy three weeks. Please excuse my lack of emails!
All is well and I'm loving Cagliari more than ever... I may just be a
little lazy in writing things out. 😬 I'll do my best to catch up a
little bit today though.

To keep things light, I'll start off with the dream I had last
Saturday night. I kid you not it was all about pizza......
My sister and I were living in the house I grew up in as a kid and it
was late at night and I decided we should order a pizza. I told her
all about the delicious italiane margherite and how we should get two
because si può mangiare una intera and it would only be like €6. (I
love Italy.) So we call it in and we get to waiting. A little
impatiently. I check the time and it's like 10:20pm and I start
freaking out. "Jade, its ALMOST 10:30 AND WE'LL HAVE TO GO TO BED. OUR
PIZZA WILL NEVER MAKE IT IN TIME" (#missionaryschedule). Then at like
10:27 the doorbell rings. Only it was some sad American pizza company
that had updated my order to two supreme pizzas and cheese sticks for
$37.60 and didn't have margheritas. So I shut the door very sadly and
said, "Jade, we just have to go to bed. There's no time to order
another pizza, and I CANNOT PAY $37.60 for THAT."
And then the alarm went off. And I had no clue what day it was.

La vita della missionaria. Hahahaha.

Some highlights from this week's adventures:

A cone of a delicious scoop ricotta e noci gelato (with honey drizzled
throughout) next to a scoop of Pistacchio. Mamma mia. I'd died and
gone to heaven.

We've started to Sorelle FHEs Sunday night for fun and for our
"activity" last night we did "Laughter Therapy". Vi spiego. You all
lay on your back. And start laughing. And if the laughter stops,
someone has to start laughing. Vi prego...TRY IT. It made my year and
my abs are sore this morning. If you need to smile, just do it,

Another exciting, much more spiritual experience this week was
Patrizia's (the other Sorelles investigator) baptism! It was Sunday
evening and it may have been the most beautiful baptism I've been to
on my mission. The spirit was so strong and she was so ready. After
the baptism, we sang the hymn "I Am a Child of God" as missionaries.
Watching members and investigators sing along and shed a tear or two
just reminded me of the power of that simple truth: we are ALL
children of god, with a divine potential and destiny. And when one of
his children takes that first step towards returning home to him, he
is so happy. I am so joyful for patrizia, and I am so glad I got to be
there for her special day.

Saturday morning we had a neat experience. It was another morning of
Ricerca, and we had planned to go to a neighboring town. But all
during our exercise run and getting ready that morning, something kept
nagging me that that wasn't right. I tried to just kinda push it
aside, thinking maybe It was just me not wanting or feeling one
hundred percent like going there and doing that kind of finding. But
when we sat down to plan, I brought it up and Sorella Fielding said
the same thing. MENO MALE. We change plans and headed out. For the
first couple hours it wasn't super successful. Despite being a
Saturday morning, not a whole Lot of people were out, but we did our
best to talk to the ones we knew we should. We had about thirty
minutes left before heading back home, and we needed to stop at the
grocery store to get some things. We had planned to stop by the port
for swoop of finding along lungo Mare, but i started to justify that
too thinking "naw, we can just head home, we've done enough"

But then we pushed the button and got off the bus anyways. And thank
goodness! The first girl we talked to was like "Yeah...I'm not
interested" as soon as we started talking to her.

On to the next girl by herself on a bench.

"Excuse me, have you ever seen this book?" Companion points to book Of Mormon.
"Si.....in a play in London I think"
"Davvero, what did you learn about it?"
AND then she just starts speaking into us in English (l'accento è
forte so if they speak English they just switch over hahahaha)

Her name was Cinzia and she'd lived in London for six years with her
husband. They just recently moved back to Cagliari because her husband
was getting very sick, and when they moved back here they found out he
had cancer. They past year had been hard and scary, and despite that
things are looking much better now, they have been on a roller coaster
for sure.

We were able to bear sweet and simple testimonies of Christ and his
healing power. We testified of the power of the book Of Mormon and its
role as we try to draw nearer unto Him. She gladly accepted the copy,
and promised she would read it. She didn't want to give us contact
information, but I made her promise that if she liked what she read
and wanted to know more, she would call us.
As we said goodbyes she goes "Thanks for sharing this joy...and enjoy
the sun today, okay?!" Haha made me smile.
As we walked away, we turned around to glance back and she had already
started reading. :)

Sharing simple, eternal truths with our fellow brothers and sisters
here in this life really is one of the most joyful things I've ever
felt.
We shared a scripture with Cinzia found in Alma 7:11-13
""11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and
temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled
which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his
people.
12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of
death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their
infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to
the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his
people according to their infirmities.
13 Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God
suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins
of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according
to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony
which is in me.""

We are all so different in this crazy world (16 months with 8
different colleghe has made me sure of that haha!). We had different
worries, dreams, talents, and trials. But the savior and redeemer of
the world came so that he could completely understand, completely
heal, and know us perfectly. So whether it's a struggling missionary
or a young wife on a park bench, He KNOWS what we are feeling and
facing and he stands ready to succor with open arms. It is up to us to
turn to him and apply his teaching and power in our lives, but it is
universal and available to all. I know that with all my heart.
I'm grateful to be an instrument in his hands to serve in whatever
shape or form that may be, and I know that the call to discipleship is
a life long calling. I love this work with all my heart.
AND I love y'all! I hope it is a fantastic week! A dopo!

XOXO
Sorella Carver





No comments:

Post a Comment