Sunday, March 27, 2016

Italy: Arriving in Rome, Assigned to Cosenza

Weeks 6 & 7 



My MTC travel group touring Rome - Mar 15, 2016 (I'm 2nd from left, back row)

Hello everybody!

I am actually in Italy this week!! I keep pinching myself because I
still can't believe it.

Soooo I feel like my family has been kinda playing "Where's Waldo"
(but more like "Where's Sorella Carver" hah) all week because they
knew I arrived in Rome on Tuesday, but they wouldn't know what area I
would be serving in until today!

And I'm in Cosenza! It's this beautiful, small, mountain top city in
Southern Italy. The people here are wonderful.

So here's what happened...
we arrived in Rome, Tuesday morning and
spent all day in Rome. We got to see the colosseum and the Roman
forum, a beautiful old church chapel, and a few other sights. Rome is
AMAZING!!! I'm in love with that city. The mix of old building and
modern technology is crazy and there is so much to see and do. I will
definitely be going back as a visitor and not as a missionary some day
;)




We stayed in Rome at the mission home over night and then did training
the next day. That night, we were assigned our new areas. So all of
the missionaries that I spent the time with in the MTC were all split
up, and we've all been assigned a new companion who will train us for the
the next 12 weeks in our new area.


Opening my 'Golden Letter' with my first assigned area and companion


So then Thursday morning we all got up suuuuuper early and said some
bittersweet goodbyes and hopped on various trains to go to our new
areas. My train ride was about four hours long, and there were four
other missionaries traveling with me. Then I got off the train near
Cosenza and met Sorella Pinnegar, my new trainer/companion. She is
awesome :) Super super awesome.



Sister Pinnegar and me




So Italy is like a mix between San Fransisco and New Orleans...at
least in my head it is haha. It's beautiful and city-ish all at the
same time. Quite the change for the small town Gulf Breeze girl, but
so far it's been awesome :)

Fun experiences from the past six days in Italy:

Pranzo. So for breakfast Italians eat just like a piece of fruit or
something small... Totally good for me, that's what I normally do
anyways. And then for dinner, they do something light too, usually
bread and fruit or cheese or something. BUT FOR LUNCH oh my goodness.
Everything shuts down from the hours between like 1 and 4 and everyone
eats and naps (my kinda lifestyle haha except we don't nap...we study)
but stores and shops and everything close. It's all fine if we don't
have a meal appointment, we just go back got the house and eat a snack
or make some rice and veggies. But I had my first Pranzo appointment
on Sunday.....

If you are praying for me to be fed.... (*cough* momma) I love you....
But please pray for something else. Like language help or feet that
can walk forever or something. Anything but Pranzo appointments. Haha
please.

Okay so Sunday, we had this meal appointment with an investigator
(someone who is interested in learning more about the church and is
meeting with the missionaries) named Pepe and his wife. Their house is
about a 40 minute walk from the church, so we headed there right after
church on Sunday. I really love this family already. They're awesome.
But I about died at the dinner table. So. Much. Food.

We start out with a HUGE bowl of pasta bolognese. Best pasta I've ever
had in my life, but seriously like three times what I would eat in a
normal day. And then the next course is this like huge bowl of really
good peas and a TON of sausage on the side. And then we have bread.
And then zeppole, these creamy dessert things (the best things I've
eaten so far :)) And then biscotti. AND then he sent us home with some
candy. In Italian culture it's not okay to leave anything on your
plate.... Even though the hosts aren't eating at all. They're just
sitting there watching you and talking with you. It's how they show
they're love haha. But seriously. I don't know how we did it.

So thats the only meal appointment I've had so far. It was amazing
food, but I thought I was going to die even just after the pasta. No
joke. I was praying so hard. I didn't eat anything for 24 hours after
haha! And all pranzos are like that, sometimes with two pastas and
another meat course. So like I said above... Prayers are
appreciated...just not for a meal appointment everyday...maybe like
once a week. ;)

Italian drivers are crazy. It's true. Haha. Missionaries must have a
magic bubble around them because I swear it seems like we should get
hit about 20 times a day.

Consenza is small for an Italian city, but it's still pretty big. We
walk almost everywhere, but I love it! The weather is beautiful right
now and there are so many pretty views :) I'll try and include some
pictures!






So with Easter this coming Sunday, I want to take a second and talk
about that :) I'm so glad I get to be here for this!

As a missionary, my job is talk to people (okay, working on the
talking part ;) I have faith the Italian will come with time) about
Jesus Christ and invite people to come unto Him.

It's funny because I'm supposed to be helping others do this right?!
But everyday, I find my relationship with the Savior strengthening and
growing.

At this beautiful time of the year we get to remember him a little
more, celebrate his life, and find joy and peace in His teachings.

I know that Christ lived and lives today. He was born, he lived, and
he completed all that our Heavenly Father sent him here to do. He was
the perfect example for us, and as we follow him and live his
teachings, we will be able to become more like him. We will be able to
overcome trials, be forgiven of our sins, and receive the comfort we
all need in this life.
Because of Him and His Atonement, all of these things are possible.
Because he rose again, we all will live again one day, and can be
reunited with our loved ones.

There's a short little video clip that we show to people called
"Hallelujah". It's beautiful, and I encourage you all to watch it and
take a second to share it with someone who might need this
encouragement or knowledge this week.

https://www.mormon.org/easter?player=bc

And if you want something else, look up "Because of Him" That one is
my favorite ;)

I love the gospel of Jesus Christ and the opportunity that I have to
be a servant for him full time for a year and a half. This is some of
the most fulfilling work I have ever done. I love the people I work
with. I love my Heavenly Father, and I am so grateful for all the
blessings I have received from him in my life. I leave these things
with you in the name of his son, Jesus Christ, amen.

And I love you all too. Hope you have a fantastic week and an awesome
Easter. Thinking of you and missing you all!

Love,
Sorella Carver

No comments:

Post a Comment