Sunday, July 10, 2016

Cosenza

Week 20
(Written June 20, 2016)

Hello y'all!

This week has been....quite the week.
The work continues to roll forward though and I'm continually amazed
by the tender mercies of the Lord! I'm so grateful I get to serve him
and see these things everyday.

Favorite Moment of the Week:
We have a few regulars at English Course, and one of them is Domenico,
an older gentleman who works so so hard to learn every time! He's
hilarious, too. This week were having our discussion in English and he
always pitches in and participates. During a discussion about the word
"message" it somehow got turned into "massage" and he blurts out "My
dogs they like massage!" I about died.
Then a little bit later he starts to ask a question, but instead of
saying "I forgot..." He says "I'm dimenticated..." (using the Italian
verb "dimenticare"). Again, dying.
Oh boy...Corso D'Inglese never fails to make me laugh. :)

Spiritual Thought for the Week:
This week I learned a lot about the power of our words. I read a talk
by Elder Jeffery R. Holland called "The Tongue Of Angels." Holy cow.
So good.

He says:
“The spirit of the gospel is optimistic; it trusts in God and looks on
the bright side of things. The opposite or pessimistic spirit drags
men down and away from God, looks on the dark side, murmurs,
complains, and is slow to yield obedience.” We should honor the
Savior’s declaration to “be of good cheer.” (Indeed, it seems to me we
may be more guilty of breaking that commandment than almost any
other!) Speak hopefully. Speak encouragingly, including about
yourself. Try not to complain and moan incessantly. As someone once
said, “Even in the golden age of civilization someone undoubtedly
grumbled that everything looked too yellow.”
Yes, life has its problems, and yes, there are negative things to
face, but please accept one of Elder Holland’s maxims for living--no
misfortune is so bad that whining about it won’t make it worse."

How true that is. Our words have so much power, on ourselves and also
on those around us. They can make a world of a difference in any
situation... For better or for worse! I strongly encourage you to read
his full talk, because these little quotes don't do it justice. I
learned so much about things I can improve in myself!

Elder Holland continues:
"So, brothers and sisters, in this long eternal quest to be more like
our Savior, may we try to be “perfect” men and women in at least this
one way now--by offending not in word, or more positively put, by
speaking with a new tongue, the tongue of angels. Our words, like our
deeds, should be filled with faith and hope and charity, the three
great Christian imperatives so desperately needed in the world today.
With such words, spoken under the influence of the Spirit, tears can
be dried, hearts can be healed, lives can be elevated, hope can
return, confidence can prevail."


We use our 
words to communicate, and like he said, things can be
changed for the better when we use words filled with faith and hope
and charity. Another way we use our words is to communicate with our
Father in Heaven. Prayer is our line to him.
I love the counsel of our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, who
said: “To those within the sound of my voice who are struggling with
challenges and difficulties large and small, prayer is the provider of
spiritual strength; it is the passport to peace. Prayer is the means
by which we approach our Father in Heaven, who loves us. Speak to Him
in prayer and then listen for the answer. Miracles are wrought through
prayer."

I know this is true. I know that miracles happen when we use our
tongue to uplift, encourage, and speak peacefully. When we approach
Heavenly Father in humble prayer, he takes our words, our needs, and
our desires, and helps us in our day to day lives.

I love you all and I'm grateful for your continual love and support!
Vi voglio tanto bene!

Sorella Carver


Sunrise on the way to Crotone


No comments:

Post a Comment